Tuesday, March 23, 2010

God Makes a Point


For the last week God has been gently bringing to my realization how I totally lack contentment. My eyes are constantly seeking out things to be jealous over. I want the following: a new car, a showroom house, nice clothes for myself, nice clothes for Camille, a stylish haircut, a faster laptop, name brand shoes, a European vacation, an espresso bedroom suite, matching baby furniture, an expensive elliptical machine, outdoor furniture, overpriced nursery decor....do you get my drift.

Also, my wantings are not by any means limited to physical objects. I regularly pray for a new career for my husband, a healthy family, an easy delivery, a well behaved toddler, success at my job, protection from struggle....I ask for a LOT of things. So, like I said, God has been gently (which I appreciate because sometimes He is not so gentle) admonishing me to BE CONTENT. My car runs, my bedroom furniture is very functional, Matt's job pays bills, I have way too many shoes.

On the way to pick up Camille this afternoon I was praying about just that. Lord please help me to be content, please let me love my car and not lust after every car on the highway that is nicer than mine (which to be fair, is most of them). Please help me to be happy with my new, HUGE house without being prideful. Please help me to have and easy delivery, please, please, please on that one :) I got to my parents loaded up Camille and we headed for home....the 15 minute trip sounded something like this....

"Water please mommy, please mommy, wateeeeerr. Ice cream please, Ice cream, Ice cream. Song please, SOOOOOOOONGGG, song, song, song, SSOOOOOOOOONNNNGGG!!!. " Silence. "French fries, FRENCH FRIES, FRENCH FRIIIEEES please." I start to laugh. "Bottle, bottle, please, TOOOOY, TOY PLEASE. Daddy, Daddy, Daddy. " Crying.
I had given Camille her cup of water, which she immediately threw on the floor, she has had ice cream maybe three times in her entire life so I have no idea where that came from. She has just been turned to face forward in the car and now is DEMANDING her music CDs by asking for songs, and french fries...that is just genetic. For the 15 between my parents house and my home I got to hear what I must sound like to God. Some of my demands make sense, like asking for water, but maybe He just gave me water and I threw it down and then changed my mind at a time when He could not just turn around a give it to me again. Maybe my demands come from left field, like asking for ice cream, where did she get that?? Maybe my demands are logical and He is in a position to give me what I ask, like turning on Camille's CD, but the way I ask is so ridiculous that He makes me wait anyway. Maybe I just start shooting things that I want off to heaven because I am so in the asking mode, demanding mode. Maybe He laughs at me, today I laughed at me. Kids are excellent glimpses into the heart of God.



3 comments:

Sherry Caffey said...

Thanks for sharing. Great logic.

Amanda said...

Kelly, you are not the only one! How many times have my children shown me what I must sound like to God - and it's not pretty! I am thankful for those gentle nudges you were talking about!! Isn't it wonderful how merciful and patient God is with us?!? I am so very thankful for that! Thanks for the post!

Amanda

Williams Family said...

I am so glad that you put up a new blog! Your car ride sounds like mine times 3!