Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Introducing....

Baby girl #2!!!


Matt worked to try and get the pictures to scan and turn out clearer, but this is the best we could do with our scanner and the darkness of the pictures. Originally I had not planned on having an ultrasound, because so many people had told me how fun it is to be surprised and find out at birth. Then I realized...I hate surprises. So my midwife hooked me up with a very cool ultrasound company that offers diagnostic prenatal ultrasounds at a VERY reasonable price. I have to say that this was the best ultrasound experience I have had, they were professional, but laid back. And they really cared about offering a quality service to those without insurance, like myself. Enough about that.

Both Matt and I had been hoping that this one was a boy, because we are going to be done having babies after this and we really wanted a boy and a girl. After the ultrasound tech announced that we were having another girl, I realized instantly that I was super excited about having two girls. Sisters. However, Matt was more disappointed than he thought he would be, and I really sympathize with that. Had the situation been reversed and we had had two boys I would have been sad, too. Not that he does not love his daughter (s) intensely, but there is definitely something to be said for the bond between a father and son, likewise between a mother and daughter. I consoled him by saying that a daughter would have a much better chance being an Olympic weightlifter, because there is way less competition. I am sure he felt better.

So now we are in the process of picking out another girl name. For those of you who remember the last pregnancy, you know this was a really difficult process the last time around. I have found a name that I really like, and Matt is so-so on, which is about as good as it gets for us. We well see what happens, I guess.

As far as the oldest daughter is concerned, Camille had her first shots yesterday. It was horrid, and I am very glad I waited until now to do this. This is not at all a post on my position about vaccinations. As far as that goes I know everyone is doing everything that they can to make to safest decisions for their child as possible, and I respect that. I expect that same respect in return, since I too am trying to make the best decisions for my kids. You love them so much, and all you want is the very best in all situations, when it comes to making the big decisions, like should I inject them with neurotoxins in order to prevent dangerous diseases, there is no easy answer. Matt and I had decided when Camille was only a few months old that we would wait until she was walking and talking before beginning her vaccines. She is well into that stage, and I realized that even though she is not in as much danger from a lot of the conditions that vaccines treat against, the new baby would be, and I did not want Camille getting sick and then getting her newborn sister sick. There is nothing, NOTHING, worse than a sick baby, can I get an amen!!

So we went in and Camille got to big pokes in the thigh. She did really well and I only cried a little bit. She is now vaccinated against pertussis, meningitis, polio, and tetanus. We are going to go in at least one more time before May (when baby #2) arrives for the second round.

I know that something like vaccinations should not be so hard, but they really scare me. It is just another of those instances where I realize that no matter how much I feel like Camille is MY baby, really she is God's. He has given her to me to take care of her needs, but He takes care of her ultimately. I try to convince myself that I am okay with that, but the truth is I beg Him for mercy all the time. It takes trust to a new level, one that I could probably spend my whole life working on and be rattled at every turn.

Okay, this post seems to have rambled on long enough. I am wondering if anyone is reading this blog at all?? We are having major computer troubles, so it has been harder to post than normal, but my goal is still once per week.



5 comments:

Kim said...

We're reading it and excited about girl #2. Love you!

Rachel said...

Amen! yes! and get a better scanner :)

tamie marie said...

I totally check in with your blog! Write as often as you can because I love reading about your life!

Dude. I LOVE the scanned ultrasound pictures. They look beautiful, very abstract-like.

Hey, a question. Why're you stopping at two? I'm not saying you shouldn't or anything, but if Matt wants a boy, what about adoption? Just a thought! :)

XO

Kellsotr said...

Our plan IS adoption, that is exactly why WE are stopping at two. Matt and I both really want to adopt, in fact Matt would have been happy to stop at one, but I really wanted to have two of our own. Right now, with some exposure I am getting through my job, I am kind of tossing around the idea of being a foster parent or adopting a special needs kiddo. There are so many kids in this area that are just bounced around from home to home and it makes me sick. We will see where God leads us. I do know that I want our two kids to be at least five years old before we even start thinking about adoption because I want them to be a part of the process and understand what is going on in their home.

tamie marie said...

Well, you're even more amazing than I originally suspected. (And yes, I do get an alert, so long as I remember to check the little box that says "Please alert me".) That's amazing, Kelly. You and Matt are super cool.

Jon and I have also been thinking about adoption. We need to get the marriage show on the road though, because I think most adoption agencies require you to be married a minimum of 5 years before considering you. I've thought about both international adoption and special-needs adoption, and both are quite compelling. The only tough thing with international adoption is the notion of taking the kiddo away from his/her culture. So I need to think and research more about that.

Anyway....I'm just really happy about the idea of you guys adopting. I think the four of us should get together pronto so that we can get to know each other better! It really seems like we have a lot in common.