Sunday, January 24, 2010

Weekend warriors

It has been an absolutely beautiful weekend in our area with lovely blue skies and warm temperatures. On Saturday I secured a babysitter and Matt and I spent many hours working on the house. It reminded me of when we were first married and living in Houston remodeling our maiden voyage on this journey of home ownership. You would think we would have learned, but I have very fond memories of that house in Houston and I really enjoyed my Saturday, even if the only thing I did was prep all the trim for painting. The house we are remodeling was apparently owned by a chain smoker who had an OCD obsession with poking holes in things because there was a nasty tobacco stain on all the trim and one million holes in every window, weird. While we were working the guys that we hired to do the tile in our kitchen were finishing up that project, with grand results. I cannot wait to show before and after pictures, it takes my breath away to see such beauty come out of something that was so ugly. I just hope the work shows up well in the pictures. I feel really blessed by the guys who worked on our house. They were fast and fair and did an excellent job. We found them on Craigslist, which can be risky when looking for someone to hire, so I am glad things turned out so well. I think in this society it is becoming more rare to have anyone take pride in their work and do a quality job, so when a craftsman comes along it is easy to take notice. They also were very ready to compliment the quality and skill of Matt's work, so evident in the house, and that made me swell with pride. I like it when other people notice what I see all the time!
So now it is back to the grind. I have my first full schedule since starting my new job. I have been anxiously awaiting having less free time, and now I know I will miss it when it is gone.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

I want your house. Maybe I'll just buy this one when you move out since it will be perfect by then.

Williams Family said...

Ok I am not able to leave a comment. I cannot wait to see the house.

tamie marie said...

You are an amazing partner to Matt. I hope you realize that.

I wish that I enjoyed working on houses like you do, for Jon's sake. Even though I totally grew up in rugged conditions, and my parents built our house from scratch, and etc., I really just don't enjoy doing remodeling kind of work. I think that bums Jon out!