Friday, January 1, 2010

Let's get it started in here...

Welcome to my new blog!!

Please, please do not be cynical about my millionth attempt to consistent with blogging, I really want to do it well, but I think I am just going to be satisfied with doing it at all even if the posts are not fabulous. Once a week is not too much to ask, with the exception of the month of May during which I will be having a baby and the blog can deal. I am in the process of making some major changes that will hopefully make staying committed to the blogging process easier, the first being waking up earlier and the second being moving into a house with an office where I can have some quiet time to write without being in the hubbub of my house. Please feel free to hassle me if I do not live up to my own expectations.

I am feeling particularly nostalgic right now, being that today is the beginning of a new decade and I have nostalgic pregnancy hormones coursing through my veins. I am going to start this blog off with two lists, the first is the major events of last year, the second is my goals for the 2010. I love lists, they make me happy.

In 2009 I:
  • Lived in the same house for over a year
  • Planted my first garden with my mom
  • Neglected said garden and enjoyed the fruits of my mom's labor
  • Found a church I love
  • Trained for a triathlon, which I never did ( nothing about pregnant and triathlon go together)
  • Travelled on an airplane with a baby
  • Decided that we only want two kids
  • Got pregnant
  • Bought a (second) house
  • Met some cool people that I would love to get to know better
  • Drastically changed jobs, from working with geriatrics to pediatrics
  • Fell more in love with my husband
  • Made the switch to raw, locally bought milk and paraben free products
  • Lost my grandmother
  • Watched my daughter learn to eat solid foods, crawl, walk, talk, dance, climb...
  • Struggled with the same old things
This year I want to:

  • Make real friends
  • Have a healthy baby
  • Take more pictures
  • Blog (!!!)
  • Take control of my health for me with no more excuses
  • Get organized
  • Move into our new house
  • Wake up earlier
  • Cook more, but easier and better planned meals
  • Get a half a cow in my freezer from a local farmer
  • Plant a super awesome garden and not neglect it too much
  • Play more with Camille
  • Walk the dogs
  • Create a nice outdoor space for my family
  • Send more things in the mail
  • Read my Bible
  • Keep my car cleaner

5 comments:

Kim said...

Welcome back! Here's to a year where you can check all the stuff off your list. :)

tamie marie said...

You'll get no cynicism from me about starting something for the millionth time. I really think that's so much of LIFE, don't you? We just keep starting, over and over again.

Your new year's resolutions seem good, healthy, and totally doable. I know you're not looking for advice, but recently I was reading a book by Sark (who I think is totally cool, and much more serious than her books look at first), who has a really good idea when it comes to setting/achieving goals for ourselves. She points out that often we make these huge, lofty, general goals for ourselves that are really good, but hard to know how to begin to accomplish. And so she says that making small, super concrete steps toward those goals is the best way to go. Like, for example, if the goal is to "get a poem published in 2010," then you might look at your calendar, and decide that on Wednesday, February 2, at 4:00 p.m., you will go to the library and check out the Writer's Digest on How to Get Published. Then on Feb. 4, at 3:00 p.m., you will read 2 pages of it. That kind of thing.

Anyway, I'm hoping to take some of that advice this year....

I hope you DO post once a week, or as often as you can....I always love reading what you write, and it doesn't have to be perfect at all. (I've found that for many people, the more often they write on their blog, the more they feel like they don't have to be perfect about what they write....less pressure, more action!)

Much love.

Jonathan Erdman said...

Great lists....You may have inspired me to do a bit of personal reflection on my blog.....I'll keep you posted...

sarah said...

1. I have yet to accomplish living in a house for over a year. Good job!
2. (I also have yet to accomplish giving birth, but that's understandable given my previous single status ;) hehe. Good job again!
3. I too love lists
4. Enough about me - you write well, I like it.
5. Thanks for the link, and happy new decade!
6. much love (and blog love), sj

tamie marie said...

Okay, time to post. DO IT NOW!!! :)